During the winter season, the average person typically thinks of Christmas presents, family dinners, etc. but frozen pipes bursting and flooding your home probably isn’t on that list. Though it is easy to overlook, Southeastern Ohio can reach temperatures that can freeze the water residing in your lines causing the pipe itself to expand and potentially burst. Here are a few preventative measures to keep this from happening to your home this winter:
- Make sure exposed pipes are properly insulated
- Invest in a cover for your outdoor faucets
- Open the cabinet doors underneath your fixtures to allow more air to flow to your pipes
- If you plan on leaving your home for an extended period of time, set your thermostat to keep your home from getting too cold.
- Where pipes are most likely to freeze, run a small trickle of water to keep the pipes flowing.
Hopefully, some of these tips can help prevent your home from being subject to frozen pipes this year. If you do end up facing a water loss from a busted pipe, there’s a pro for that. SERVPRO of Jackson & Ross, Athens & Gallia Counties is available 24/7 and is here to provide quality service with experienced restoration professionals. Contact us anytime at (740) 286-2550!