Christmas Fire Safety
With the Christmas season finally here, people are starting to get into the holiday spirit and putting up decorations. With the help of the U.S. Fire Administration, let’s be mindful of potential fire hazards. Here are some tips to put a freeze on holiday house fires:
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear. If any damage is found, please dispose of it and replace it with a new set.
- Don’t link more than three strands of holiday lights.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits. Live Christmas trees will dry over time, mixed with being close to a heat source can create a fire hazard.
- Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.
- Once the holiday has passed, dispose of your live tree when possible.
Hopefully, with these tips, we can help make your home a little bit safer this holiday season. If you are in the Southern Ohio area and facing the aftermath of a house fire, there’s a pro for that. SERVPRO of Jackson & Ross, Athens & Gallia Counties is available 24/7 to help get your home feeling like home again.